Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving

Coming out of the long weekend for Thanksgiving, I can't help but think about the very "American" holiday. I can remember being in elementary and middle school and learning about the Pilgrims and Indians. I remember the story of the great feast the two groups had and the peace between the two. I remember coloring in coloring pages and making turkeys out of hand shaped cut outs. I remember little pageants and plays that depicted the story.

As I advanced in my education, research showed me that for the most part, these events never happened. At least, not in the way that we are taught in the earlier levels of education. But what I found really astonishing, is that many of the adults that I know still believe the story.

Now, I agree that there are some benefits to the old story. It gives a fable to children, a type of mythology, from which they can learn basic ideas and values. It also gives children a basic overview of some of the early American History. And the concept of a day of thanksgiving is a good one. I do approve of that. However, I also think that real effort needs to be made to inform the public that those stories are just stories even though it is based on fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment